Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 132/366

"Try and make it Unique"

Today, Adobe officially released the Creative Cloud, so I got to download all the new apps. So this is the first image processed through the full release version of PS CS6.

I was looking through some images from DC and trying to find something I could have fun with and came across images from my DC Photowalk lead by the Photowalk Pro himself,  I was the stragler of the group, I kept stopping to take bracketed shots. And I guess I saw things that the others didn't because no one ever stopped with me to shoot. :)
So I finally made it to the base of the Washington Monument, Now the problem before me is how do I shoot this thing in a somewhat unique, I mean this thing is shot like crazy. It is in several of my other shots and I use it there simply as a device to help the viewer instantly know where they are when looking at the image. But how do you try and create a unique image when shooting the Monument by itself.

I had one thing going for me, It was exceptionally windy, which helped to make the flags stand at attention. So I walked around and looked for a unique angle, I had an idea of shooting a bracketed sequence and embracing the fact that each shot will have a different flag in it. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but thought it might make for an interesting image. I also figured that this thing is so recognizable that I only needed to include a portion of the monument, for it to read as the Washington Monument.
I exported the image out of Lightroom and into HDR EFEX PRO and began to mess with it looking for something interesting. The one thing I did see was that the Flags were definitely interesting, and that became what I focused on. As I began playing the image began to look a little painterly, which really made the flags start to look cool. So I headed down that direction. I got the color and feel of the image how I wanted it, I then used a little trick where I reprocess the HDR into black and white and pump up the structure and contrast, then I layer that image on top of the color version in Luminosity Mode. And it really helps bring out the texture, and in this case helps with the Painted feel. I love the feel of the Monument.

Make sure and click on the image and look at the larger version.



No comments:

Post a Comment